FG has made fresh statement on the beneficiaries of N-Power programme – Some beneficiaries of N-Power had protested over delayed payment of their October and November allowances – The minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, Sadiya Farouk, however, said that the backlog of two months allowances has been paid Following the public outcry over two months outstanding stipends of the beneficiaries of the federal government youth empowerment programme, N-Power, the minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, Sadiya Farouk, has made some clarifications. The Cable reports that the minister said the federal government has paid the October and November 2019 backlog allowances of beneficiaries of N-Power programme.
Knowledge base gathered that this was disclosed in a statement issued by Halima Oyelade, special assistant on media to the minister on Friday, December 27. Oyelade said the minister ensured the payment of the allowance before December 20 as she had earlier promised.
The statement read: “It can be recalled that the minister has on December 2, 2019 at a press conference promised to pay the backlog of the allowances before December 20th, 2019, and also explained that the payments were being processed while the Social Investment Programme (SIP) was being moved to the ministry in line with a presidential directive. “The N-Power programme has 500,000 volunteers who are engaged as teachers, health workers and agricultural extension officers, among other fields. They are deployed to various locations throughout the country offering their services to Nigerians. Each participant is paid a stipend of N30,000 monthly.” She said the SIP has four components namely conditional cash transfer, the N-Power programme, the homegrown school feeding programme and the government enterprise and empowerment programme. The four programmes, according to Oyelade, have over 13 million direct beneficiaries and an estimated 44 million secondary beneficiaries across the country.
“The minister assured that the kind of promptness demonstrated in the payment of the backlog as promised will be sustained so that the programmes will continue to achieve their goals of improving the wellbeing of Nigerians,” the statement read. It would be recalled that Farouk had taken charge of the social investment programmes (SIP) following a presidential directive in October.
Knowledge base had previously reported that some volunteers of the N-Power in Osun state who were either put on hold or exited appealed for their reinstatement into the scheme.